Monday 6 July 2009

Shattered memories... part two

Sup,

I'm going to list a few things from the Ocarina of Time manga, and if you remember them happening in the game please let me know.
  • Ingo getting brainwashed by Twinrover?
  • Ganondorf wielding a katana?
  • Shadow Link being defeated in Kakariko village?
  • Gerudo's invading Lon Lon Ranch?
  • Young Link meeting a Young Zelda in the Castle Town?
  • The Shadow Temple not existing?
  • Young Link spending hard earned rupees to rescue a baby dragon? A dragon that then grows up to become Volvagia, the fire temple boss? Then a tearful Link screaming 'REMEMBER ME!!' at the dragon before chopping his head off?
If these things happen in the game that I know and love please let me know, because I don't remember them. Yes, this series is full of what I can only describe as bullshit. What was once a wondrous tale of a world being devoured by evil and a young mans struggle to re-awaken the six sages of time and restore a world to a time of peace, what was once an epic journey has been reduced to childish jokes, generic anime sweat drops and terrible writing. Now, people might try and defend it by saying that the writing may have been changed slightly during translation, blah blah blah... No, that one won't work today. It's very rare now days that things are changed completely during translation.

I was trying to imagine what the series would be like if I was someone who had never heard of the Zelda series. I imagined that I would hate these books. The story doesn't make any sense. It's all been chopped and changed. Decent bits of a genius story have been removed only to be replaced by freaking stupid bits. Like, when in the game did the Great Deku Tree have a baby? I seem to remember him dying from a curse, and then once the curse was broken the Great Deku Sprout begins to grow. And these books have been released on the Vizkids label. These books are meant to be read by kids and presumably get them into manga. How can a story that makes very little sense possibly make kids want to carry on reading?

The entire story has been split into two parts, which Viz media decided to cram into two volumes. Part one, 'Ocarina of Time' consists of six chapters, while part 2, 'Hero of Time' has nine chapters.
In these 15 chapters was I supposed to relive 40+ hours of game play? Was I supposed to feel connected to these characters in the manga? Because i didn't. I remember the ending of the game bringing me to tears almost. By the time I reached the end of book two yes, I was ready to cry...

These books are so radically different from the game it's untrue. All the suspense, mystery, and darkness has been lost somewhere. That thing that grabs you from the beginning of a book or game, well whatever that thing is, its missing from these books. For example, book one opens with this one page. ONE PAGE.


The game opens like so...
(you'll have to be happy with screenshots I'm afraid)

There are another seven books out by the same folks that cover The Legend of Zelda, Majora's Mask, both the Oracle of Seasons and the Oracle of Ages, The Four Swords and The Minish Cap, all of which I assume are going to be just as bad as The Ocarina of Time. No I won't be buying them.

Just for good measure here is the fantastic ending to Ocarina of Time. Enjoy!




@BenGP02

2 comments:

  1. One of the things I really liked about Windwaker was all the little references to OoT. Especially the painted windows in that chamber under the castle. I spent ages getting the camera angles just right so that I could look at them properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea, i was totally blown away by that entire castle section. i loved going back to the old hyrule. brought back memories.

    ReplyDelete