Sunday 3 May 2009

Repition is a good thing - Dynasty Warriors: Gundam2

Sup,

Right, so i'm about a week into Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 and admittedly i've not given it the attention that I should of. What! I've been busy... But somehow i've managed to squeeze a good few hours of game play into my hectic schedule and so far, so good. If you've not played it yet, there's a trailer here.


Yea, ok, so basically it's exactly the same as the first game, you take control of a mobile suit, button bash through hoards of enemy mobile suits and try to conquer the enemy 'fields' or zones. Complete whatever objectives the mission requires and defeat the boss suit to achieve a 'mission complete'.

The first game had its problems, and I was happy to find that they have been fixed. The short boost times have been extended, you can now jump higher and in a direction, combos are easier to pull off and link together and the levels are HUGE. Seriously, these levels are massive and the detail is pretty awesome. You can now also now customise your mobile suit by collecting parts acquired from defeating enemies.


One of the most noticeable change is the amount of playable characters and mobile suits available to use. Pilots and suits from First Gundam, Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, F91, V-Gundam, Turn A, Wing, and Seed Destiny, with probably more unlockables just made the game for me, and i'm only about 3 hours into it.

The suits and characters are awesome, but I don't think I could finish without mentioning the boss fights. The DW:G1 saw you fighting 'field commanders' who either came in the form of slightly tougher grunt suits, or an enemy character suit. DW:G2 has kept this as the standard 'boss' fight but now includes the gigantic 'mobile armour's'. So far I've only completed Amuro Ray's 'official mode' story line which follows the story of Amuro in the original 0079 series. I got to fight the 'Big Zam' mobile armour. Got my ass handed to me on a silver platter several times. Didn't care, I was fighting the Big Zam. The only other games I've fought the Big Zam in was 'Federation vs Zeon' on the PS2, and both the 'Battle Assault' games on the PSX. I've yet to meet the Psycho Gundam.



Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 is a re-release of DW:G1 but without the problems, and to be honest, the first game didn't have that many faults. This instalment looks and feels smoother and slicker. It's repetitive but hell, who cares! What game isn't? Only one complaint, where's the Japanese voice overs? The first game had them :(

Hack and slash gaming with Gundams, simple, addictive and fun. Plus, I bought a HDMI cable. EVERYTHING is sweeter in HD, even Gundam.


Thanks for reading. follow me on Twitter!
@BenGP02

No comments:

Post a Comment