Tuesday 19 May 2009

Slung Low - Day 2 - realistic human ash and oil rigs...

Sup,

Day two and I'm assisting Lucy Hind, the amazing dance and movement director, as they continue to work on one third of 'Last Seen'.

'The Great Bear' is a tale about a man called Dixie, reflecting on his life, regretting most of it and trying to buy some time before his death... i think... either that or he is dead from the start and the person speaking to the audience is the ghost of Dixie... (I've only managed to read the script once...)

Either way at the end he finally manages to free his soul. This is represented by the ashes of Dixie being released from a suitcase. Potentially an extremely moving scene.

Because (I think) the University of Huddersfield would frown on us using real human ashes, (haha! I'm talking like we could actually get some. lulz) we had to find a way of making some. After talk and experimentation we found a solution. Apparently, a mixture of flour, black powder paint, chalk, and bran flakes looks remarkably like burnt human ash... I know you can't tell very well form the picture but trust me, it really does.


Anyways, this Dixie fella lived on an oil rig so I spent my afternoon helping out a group research oil rigs and figuring out different ways of making one that can fit into a canal. It's gonna involve some Blue Peter style skills! Baking trays, ribena boxes, fairy liquid bottles and paint. Can't go wrong.

Unfortunately I've not had time to take any pictures except the one above, but as soon as we start making stuff, which will probably be tomorrow I'm gonna try get video clips and pictures of rehearsals.

Now that I've read two of the three scripts I'm starting to understand how the three routes are going to affect one another. Can't wait for tomorrow, working with Richard Warburton's group on the third piece.

Should be fun.

Check out Slung Low's web site here.

Follow me on Twitter @BenGP02

No comments:

Post a Comment